Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Some Things I Have Learned!

This last Saturday was my 10-year high school reunion and I definitely learned a few things from it.
1. People don't change, at least not in a 10-year period. The same cliques formed right away and no one intermingled. The stuck up people were still stuck up. The quiet ones were still quiet (that would be me!). I don't know why I was surprised. I guess I thought it would be like what you see in the movies...everyone talks to pretty much everyone else because now you are not classified into stupid stereotypical groups. Unfortunately, that is exactly what it was like. My husband even said it was, and I quote, "too high schooley" for him.
2. Even though people change, I learned that I should not have cared about it feeling like high school and I should have tried to talk to people regardless if they gave me a dirty look or if they actually had a conversation with me. I regret not trying to talk to people and I regret going back to that shy wallflower that I was in high school. That isn't me anymore. Why did I fall back into that shy, scared girl I once was? Ugh...
3. The people I wanted to really see from high school either didn't attend or they are the good friends that I still have from high school today. Leaving the reunion and going out with those who I know I love and will always be my best friends was the best part of the night. We had such a great time and I need to hang out with all of them much more!
4. My husband is awesome! I didn't want to make him go to the reunion at all. I know it had to be uncomfortable not knowing anyone and, even though he didn't go to my high school, going back to that feeling of being in high school (what a yucky feeling), but because our original plans fell through, he was a champ and went. He was amazing! He ordered our food and drinks and let me converse with people I hadn't seen for a long time. What a man! (Whatta man, whatta man, whatta man, whatta might good man--sorry, just went back to my middle school days.)
5. And, finally, I stressed way too much about my outfit for the night. I just didn't know what to wear, but I ended up loving it and will definitely wear it again.

I have also learned a few other items lately...nothing to do with my reunion...just with life and the way people are:
1. The majority of the time, the father is going to be the more stern disciplinarian in a family. Not always, but most of the time. I know it isn't fair to my husband or any other father out there, but, unfortunately, you are the ones with the deeper voices and stronger presences. It is the same in teaching...male teachers are usually more scary than we female teachers. You are just more intimidating than us and I don't know how to ever change it or make it so mothers and fathers are completely equal in the discipline area.
2. It is difficult for people to change. I guess this can relate to what I learned from my high school reunion, but it is something I see in many ways. Once people get in a groove, they stick with it. Sometimes you have to try and make a little bit of an effort to make you, others, or both a bit happier.
3. Being a parent is the hardest job one can ever have. It is also the most rewarding! However, trying to discipline your child, teach your child what they need to know, just try to raise your child to be the best person they can be is tough. I thought teaching obstinate middle schoolers was difficult. Being a parent is much harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment